A Port Kembla lady

The application to the Licensing Bench was granted to the Great Eastern Hotel in 1911 (later The Steelworkers), but building on the new hotel began in 1913 regardless…

“The contractors have made a start with the new hotel, the opening out of the foundations being in course of operations.”

– Illawarra Mercury 29 August 1913

“It is reported here that the new hotel, for which a licence was refused, is to be opened as a boarding house, and that a Port Kembla lady is to take charge.”

– Illawarra Mercury 22 January 1915

Photo of The Port Kembla Hotel (c.1915) from the collections of the Wollongong City Libraries and the Illawarra Historical Society. (P08884)