By 1916 the Electrolytic Refining & Smelting Company plant was the largest of its kind in the British Empire. The size and growth of the local population was therefore conducive to the granting of a second license in the town. An application to the Licensing Bench in 1917 by Tooth & Co was successful and the venue reopened as The Port Kembla Hotel under the publican William Raftery.
“It is understood that Tooth and Co, have purchased the new hotel property from the Port Kembla Land and Investment Co. Application will be made to the Licensing Bench on the 19th instant for a license for the premises by Mr C Hansen, Mr A Watt will appear for the applicant.
– Illawarra Mercury 5 January 1917
“The new hotel which will be named the Port Kembla Hotel will be opened on Saturday.”
– Illawarra Mercury 2 March 1917
Photo of The Port Kembla Hotel (c.1920) from the collections of the Wollongong City Libraries and the Illawarra Historical Society. (P09047)